The Taliban group on Tuesday announced a new caretaker government led by Hassan Akhund, the former minister of foreign affairs of the group. (AP File Photo – Mullah Akhund meeting former Pakistani PM Nawaz Sharif in Islamabad in August 1999)
The group also announced that Mullah Abdul Ghani Baradar and Abdul Salam Hanafi have been appointed as deputy chief ministers of the group.
Speaking during a press conference in Kabul, the group’s spokesman, Zabiullah Mujahid, said the new interim administration has been announced to respond to urgent needs of governance.
Furthermore, Mullah Yaqoob, son of Mullah Mohammad Omar, the group’s founder, has been appointed as acting defense minister and Sirajuddin Haqqani, the leader of Haqqani Network, as the acting minister of interior.
Amir Khan Mutaqi has been appointed as minister of foreign affairs and Hedayatullah Badri as acting minister of finance.
The Taliban group announce the new caretaker government almost three weeks after capturing capital Kabul.
The Complete list of cabinet members of the caretaker government announced by Taliban:
- Mohammad Hassan Akhund – Chief Minister
- Abdul Ghani Baradar – First Deputy Chief Minister
- Abdul Salam Hanafi – Second Deputy Chief Minister
- Mohammad Yaqoob Mujahid – Acting Minister of Defense
- Sirajuddin Haqqani – Acting Minister of Interior
- Amir Khan Mutaqi – Acting Minister of Finance
- Abdulhaq Wasiq – Director of Intelligence
- Qari Fasiuedin – Chief of Army Staff
- Hedayatullah Badri – Acting Minister of Finance
- Noorullah Muneer – Acting Minister of Education
- Khairullah Khairkhwah – Actign Minister of Information and Culture
- Din Mohammad Haneef – Acting Minister of Economy
- Noor Mohammad Saqib – Acting Minister of Hajj and Religious Affairs
- Abdul Hakim Sharahi – Acting Minister of Justice
- Noorullah Noori – Acting Minister of Borders and Tribal Affairs
- Mohammad Younus Akhundzada – Acting Minister of Rural Rehabilitation and Development
- Mohammad Khalid – ACting Minister of Amar bil Mahruf
- Abdul Manan Omari – Acting Minister of Public Works
- Mohammad Hais Akhund – Acting Minister of Mines and Petroleum
- Abdul Latif Mansoor – Acting Minister of Energy and Water
- Hamidullah Akhundzada – Acting Minister of Transport
- Abdul Baqi Haqqani – Acting Minister of Higher Education
- Najeebullah Haqqani – Acting Minister of Communications and Information Technology
- Khalil-ur-Rehman Haqqani – Acting Minister of Refugees
Some of the globally designated terrorists including the leader of Haqqani terrorist network are among the cabinet members introduced by Taliban and it is yet not clear if the international community, including UN, UNSC, and Afghanistan’s neighboring countries would recognize the new government or not.