Canada is increasing the fines for travelers who violate the mandatory testing and quarantine requirements upon their arrival to the country.
“As of June 4, all travelers entering or returning to Canada who do not comply with the mandatory testing and quarantine requirements may be subject to fines of $5,000 for each offence, an increase from $3,000 previously,” the Health Canada and PHAC said earlier this afternoon.
The Public Health Agency of Canada published its latest mandatory testing and quarantine requirements, the Quarantine Act, late last month.
- Quarantine for at least 14 days.
- Go directly from the airport to your pre-booked government-authorized accommodation (hotel).
- You can use your private vehicle when it is parked in the airport parking lot and is within walking distance, or a designated shuttle for government-authorized hotel
- Remain in your hotel room until you receive your arrival test result. If you receive a positive test result, wait for instructions from a quarantine officer.
- After you receive a negative test result, go directly to your suitable place of quarantine without delay. Your quarantine will only end after the 14th day if you receive a negative test result from your day-8 test, or after the expiry of another 14-day period.
Take 2 COVID-19 tests
- Take 2 COVID-19 molecular tests in Canada as directed under the authority of a quarantine officer:
- a test upon arrival (day 1) and a test on day 8 unless you have evidence of a positive COVID-19 test taken 14 to 90 days prior to arrival to Canada
- Keep a copy of all your travel-related COVID-19 molecular test results until the end of your quarantine.
- Provide your test results to the Government of Canada or government of the province or territory, or to the local public health authority during your quarantine period upon request.
Report and monitor
- Report within 48 hours your arrival at your government-authorized accommodation (hotel), and again when you arrive at your place of quarantine in ArriveCAN (if you used ArriveCAN before you entered Canada) or 1-833-641-0343 (if you did not use or cannot use ArriveCAN).
- Report daily on your health status relating to signs and symptoms of COVID-19 in ArriveCAN or 1-833-641-0343.
- Monitor your health during your time in quarantine.